Find a Job You Really Want In
Nearly 200,000 Americans work as bakers- helping Americans fulfill their severe pie addiction.
Around 186 million pies are sold each year at just grocery stores, according to the American Pie Council (which is, believe it or not, a totally real organization.)
Of course, the biggest pie day of the year is approaching, Thanksgiving.
Since pies are big jobs and big dollars from your paycheck, we set out to answer all the fresh-from-the-oven hot questions involving pie.
Keep reading for Zippiaâ€™s first state of pie:
Most Interesting Findings
- Pumpkin pie sweeps the nation, with 42 states loving pumpkin pie the best.
- Pecan is the favorite of 5 states (unshockingly Southern states) and apple of 3.
- While no state loves sweet potato pie the best, in a world without pecan pie it’d be several states favorite.
- Alaska loves pumpkin pie the most and Mississippi likes it the least
- While Thanksgiving is pie time, it’s also cake season- 7 states are looking up cake recipes slightly more than pie recipes.
- What cake are they baking? Judging from the Google searches, it’s cheesecake.
- Vermont is the best state to be a baker, proving those Hallmark movies might be onto something.
- There are 4,853 baker jobs open right now.
Most Popular Thanksgiving Pies Nationally
- Sweet Potato Pie
- Cream pie
How We Determined This
To determine each state’s favorite pie, we used Google Trends data for last November 2019.
Overall pie search volume skyrockets on Thanksgiving day as many cooks try and make the perfect pie, so the only way to accurately determine favorite Thanksgiving pies for 2020 would be to wait until after Thanksgiving.
Using this data we searched a number of pies for general popularity. Overall, while you can make whatever pie you want for Thanksgiving- most folks stick to seasonal favorites and leave the berry pies for summer.
From there, we took the three favorites and only pies to dominate a state (Pumpkin, apple, and pecan) and ran them head to head, creating the beautiful map before yo.
Give ’em pumpkin to talk about
Overall, this undercuts just how close the “pie races” are. Many states were separated by a few measley percentages.
What does this mean for you? The bringer of pies? It means odds are whatever pie you bring will be received with open mouths. However, if I were going by the numbers, I’d pick up a pumpkin pie to make those smiles just a little bigger.
Now, if I were bringing a second pie, I’d make it apple. Unless you’re a Southerner, then it better by pecan or your granny might cry.
See Also: Pie Holidays
Each State’s Favorite Thanksgiving Pie
|District of Columbia||Pumpkin|
Find The Best Job That Fits Your Career
Where do you want to work?