Find a Job You Really Want In
It’s true that horror movies can be enjoyed (if that’s your kind of thing) all-year-round, but they really shine during Halloween.
And with Halloween coming around the corner, we’re sure you’ve been diving into all of your favorite horror movies. Maybe even a few of those horror movies have inspired your Halloween costume.
From the classics like “Scream” to the lesser-knowns like “Carnival of Souls,” we set out to find which horror movies were filmed, or, at least, takes place, in each state.
We looked up movies that were either set in or filmed in each state. Then we looked into which of those movies were based on real events or inspired by actual accounts of spooky happenings.
So if you need some inspiration as to what to watch on Halloween, take a look at which horror movie is stretched into your state’s legacy.
- The Fourth Kind: While The Fourth Kind technically wasn’t filmed in Alaska, the movie is based on disappearances that took place in Alaska. Some say the disappearances were the result of alien abductions. This isn’t the only horror movie that is based on real events.
- The Town that Dreaded Sundown: This is another movie that is based on real events. Known in the state as “The Phantom Killer”, a serial killer preyed on young couples during the night throughout 1946. The fact that the killer was never caught makes this thriller even more, well, thrilling.
- Scream: While you may know of Scream for the classic horror movie that it is, did you know it was based on a killer named the “Gainesville Ripper?” The killer terrorized the small area in Florida killing several students in just a few days.
- Psycho: Psycho, a classic, was actually filmed in Arizona, much like the film starts out in. Even if you’ve never heard of the movie, we’re sure you’re familiar with the shower scene where the murderer stabs the woman while she’s taking a shower. Anyone who is anyone has kept a close eye on the shower curtain while taking a shower out of fear of ending up like Marion Crane.
- The Silence of the Lambs: Another classic horror movie, The Silence of the Lambs was another movie inspired by a real-life murderer. In fact, it was the same killer who inspired Psycho. Cue the chills.
Horror movies are scary enough without the added bonus of being based on real-life events. Now that you know where some of these movies were filmed, and where the setting of the other movies took place, you know where to avoid if you want to live to see another day. We’re only mostly kidding.
Horror Movies by State
|State||Horror Movie||Filming Location/Set|
|Alabama||Get Out||Filmed in|
|Alaska||The Fourth Kind||Takes place in|
|Arkansas||The Town That Dreaded Sundown||Filmed in|
|Colorado||The Shining||Filmed in|
|Connecticut||The Haunting in Connecticut||Filmed in|
|Delaware||Survival of the Dead||Takes place in|
|Florida||Jeepers Creepers||Filmed in|
|Hawaii||A Perfect Getaway||Filmed in|
|Idaho||Idaho Transfer||Filmed in|
|Illinois||Halloween||Takes place in|
|Indiana||An American Crime||Takes place in|
|Iowa||The Crazies||Filmed in|
|Kentucky||Return of the Living Dead||Takes place in|
|Louisiana||Interview with the Vampire||Filmed in|
|Maryland||The Blair Witch Project||Filmed in|
|Massachusetts||Shutter Island||Filmed in|
|Michigan||Mr. Jingles||Filmed in|
|Minnesota||Jennifer’s Body||Filmed in|
|Mississippi||The Beast Within||Filmed in|
|Missouri||You’re Next||Filmed in|
|Montana||Alien Abducttion: Incident in Lake County||Takes place in|
|Nebraska||Children of the Corn||Takes place in|
|Nevada||Tremors||Takes place in|
|New Hampshire||Yellow Brick Road||Filmed in|
|New Jersey||Friday the 13th||Filmed in|
|New Mexico||The Hills Have Eyes||Takes place in|
|New York||Rosemary’s Baby||Filmed in|
|North Carolina||The Conjuring||Filmed in|
|North Dakota||Leprechaun||Takes place in|
|Ohio||Nightmare of Elm Street||Takes place in|
|Oklahoma||Terror at Tenkiller||Filmed in|
|Oregon||The Fog||Takes place in|
|Pennsylvania||Night of the Living Dead||Filmed in|
|Rhode Island||Exeter||Filmed in|
|South Carolina||The New Daughter||Filmed in|
|South Dakota||Imprint||Filmed in|
|Tennessee||The Evil Dead||Filmed in|
|Texas||The Texas Chainsaw Massacre||Filmed in|
|Utah||Skinwalker Ranch||Filmed in|
|Washington||The Ring||Filmed in|
|West Virginia||The Silence of the Lambs||Filmed in|
|Wisconsin||The Giant Spider Invasion||Filmed in|
|Wyoming||Close Encounters of the Third Kind||Filmed in|