Thanksgiving, a day for being thankful for good family, good food, and general positivity.
However, judging from Google searches, it’s also a day of kitchen disasters, uncomfortable family moments, longing for Taco Bell, and way too much mayo.
We analyzed Google Search Trends data to find out what each state is googling more than any other on Thanksgiving.
Turns out, some states have a little bit more to be embarrassed about than others.
Most Fun Findings
- Toilets are clogged (Maine), no plungers to be found (Indiana), and someone’s got food poisoning (Michigan). Happy Thanksgiving?
- Oregon is asking “How to call in sick,” not so coincidentally they are most likely to google “last minute thanksgiving”
- Mayo. Mayo everywhere in Mississippi.
- Searching for divorce or divorce lawyer is never how anyone plans to spend Thanksgiving, hopefully it wasn’t inspired by the holiday itself
- Why is Massachusetts googling “Bad Thanksgiving” so much?
- Oh, Tennessee, the question isn’t “Can you cook a turkey in the microwave” but SHOULD you. No.
- I’m not saying Pennsylvania families fight more on Thanksgiving, but they do look up “How To Win An Argument” the most
- Forget turkey and stuffing, people want Taco Bell (North Dakota), McDonalds (Wyoming), Little Ceasars (Arizona), and Applebees (New Hampshire).
- Nevada may be spending “Thanksgiving alone,” but Florida is looking for “Pictures Of Happy Thanksgiving”, which seems way sadder.
HOW WE DETERMINED THIS
Using Google Trends, we determined the most embarrassing thing each state googles for Thanksgiving more than any other. Google searches are a great way to learn more about people, because people Google pretty transparently, with no self-conscious thoughts. Although judging from the data, maybe they should feel a little self-conscious.
We look at searches ranging for the week of Thanksgiving 2019, giving us a good look into what people are thinking during Turkey week- and Turkey day itself.
We searched hundreds of terms ranging from unpleasant family situations, awkward bathroom problems, fast food restaurants, cringey social media memes, and other queries you might not be super proud of searching.
While the holiday may look a little different, there is still bound to be lots of people looking for liquor or trying to recipe-rescue a dish. Some things never change.
Don’t Stop Googling
Look, this isn’t to Thanksgiving shame you.
If you’re thankful for the Crunchwrap Supreme or that Waffle House serves hashbrowns even on holidays, who are we to judge? Thanksgiving is one of only 10 federal holidays. If you’re lucky enough to be off, you should spend it with people and food you love.
Similarly, if the gravy’s too salty or the turkey’s too dry.. that is okay. At the end of the day, holidays aren’t always about the food. They are about how you spend them.
Hopefully, even if you have to choke down the turkey, you still have a day that leaves you feeling pretty thankful.
Embarrassing Google Searches
|Alabama||Mac And Cheese With Cream Cheese|
|Arizona||Is Little Caesars Open Today|
|Arkansas||Sweet Potato Casserole With Canned Yams|
|Colorado||Butterball Turkey Hotline|
|Connecticut||Vegan Mushroom Gravy|
|Delaware||Hallmark Christmas Movies|
|Florida||Pictures Of Happy Thanksgiving|
|Georgia||Waffle House Open On Thanksgiving|
|Illinois||Turkey Or Ham|
|Indiana||How To Unclog A Toilet Without A Plunger|
|Iowa||Die Hard 2|
|Kansas||How To Get Rid Of Hangover|
|Kentucky||Velveeta Broccoli Casserole|
|Maryland||Thanksgiving Eve Meme|
|Michigan||How To Treat Food Poisoning|
|Missouri||Thanksgiving Dad Jokes|
|Montana||How To Cough|
|Nebraska||Funny Knock Knock Jokes|
|New Hampshire||Applebees Hours|
|New Jersey||Can Dogs Eat Cranberry Sauce|
|New Mexico||Fast Food Open|
|North Carolina||Broken Oven|
|North Dakota||Taco Bell Near Me|
|Ohio||Ohio State Michigan Memes 2019|
|Oklahoma||How To Open A Jar|
|Oregon||How To Call In Sick|
|Pennsylvania||How To Win An Argument|
|Rhode Island||Liquor Stores Open On Thanksgiving|
|South Carolina||Microwave Turkey Joke|
|Tennessee||Can you cook a turkey in the microwave|
|Texas||Can Dogs Eat Stuffing|
|Utah||Difference Between Yams And Sweet Potato|
|Vermont||National Dog Show|
|Virginia||Vegan Thanksgiving Meme|
|West Virginia||Golden Corral Thanksgiving Hours|
|Wisconsin||What Does It Mean If Your Poop Is Green|
|Wyoming||Is Mcdonalds Open|